Leaders in San Jose, Calif., have approved new gun control measures — including one that says sellers must video record every sale — barely three weeks after nine people were killed in a shooting attack at a rail yard in the city.
Councilors approved the new measures during a meeting Tuesday night. They were outlined last week by San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo.
San Jose is the first U.S. city to require that sellers put every gun purchase on video.
There are several other provisions in the gun control package.
“First, San Jose would become the first city in the United States to require every gun owner to have liability insurance for their firearms,” Liccardo told KNTV-TV.
“Together, these rules create a constitutionally compliant mechanism to enable law enforcement to impound guns from high-risk individuals unwilling to follow the law.”
The plan would also mandate that all gun owners pay a fee to offset damage done by gun violence, establishes gun buyback programs and bans ghost guns and assault-style weapons.
City leaders said they expect that some parts of the plan will face challenges in court.
The Firearms Policy Coalition criticized each part of Liccardo’s plan, saying each is unconstitutional and will be defeated in court.
Liccardo renewed his push for improved gun control measures after the shooting attack last month at the Valley Transportation Authority transit yard in San Jose. The shooter, Samuel James Cassidy, killed himself at the scene.
Copyright 2021 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI’s prior written consent.
This content is published through a licensing agreement with Acquire Media using its NewsEdge technology.