Pope Francis called out President Trump for ending the Obama-era program that shielded young illegal immigrants from deportation, questioning whether the Republican billionaire is really as “pro-life” as he claims.
“If he is a good pro-life believer, he must understand that family is the cradle of life and one must defend its unity,” the Pope told reporters during a flight to Colombia. “I hope they rethink it a bit. Because I heard the U.S. president speak. He presents himself as a person who is pro-life.”
Trump last week announced his administration would wind down the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program that offered protections to roughly 800,000 young immigrants brought into the country illegally as children.
Trump’s order gave Congress six months to address the fate of the so-called “Dreamers” before their permits start to expire in March 2018.
Former White House adviser Steve Bannon told “60 Minutes” in an interview Sunday that he’s worried DACA will cause the GOP to lose control of the House.
“My fear is that with this six months down range, if this goes all the way down to its logical conclusion, in February and March, it will be a civil war inside the Republican Party,” Bannon said.
But White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders yesterday brushed off Bannon’s DACA warnings.
“I think that Steve always likes to speak in kind of the most extreme measures,” she told reporters. “I’m not sure that I agree with that.”
The pope’s comments called to mind the war of words he exchanged with then-candidate Trump when he said that someone who “thinks only about building walls … and not building bridges, is not Christian.”
Trump fired back that the pope’s comments were “disgraceful” and “unbelievable” and went on to win the South Carolina GOP primary a few days later.
Meanwhile, the Supreme Court handed a temporary victory to the Trump administration in its ongoing travel ban yesterday. Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy issued a temporary order to allow the administration to keep its policy on refugees for now.
The Trump administration wants the high court to block a lower court ruling that would allow up to 24,000 refugees to enter the U.S.
Trump also marked the anniversary of Sept. 11 yesterday — his first as president.
”The terrorists who attacked us thought they could incite fear and weaken our spirit,” said Trump. “But America cannot be intimidated, and those who try will join a long list of vanquished enemies who dared test our mettle.”
Herald wire services contributed to this report.
(c)2017 the Boston Herald
Visit the Boston Herald at www.bostonherald.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
This content is published through a licensing agreement with Acquire Media using its NewsEdge technology.