Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s recovery from cancer surgery last month will force force her to miss a second week of oral arguments, a court spokeswoman said Friday.
But the 85-year-old jurist is progressing fine, and no further treatment is planned, the spokeswoman, Kathy Arberg, said.
“Her recovery from surgery is on track,” Arberg said. “Post-surgery evaluation indicates no evidence of remaining disease, and no further treatment is required.”
Ginsberg had two cancerous growths removed from her left lung Dec. 21. The court gave no specific day for her return to the bench. Her absence marked the first time in her more than 25 years on the high court that she was not present for arguments.
Ginsburg will continue to participate in the cases on the basis of the briefs and transcripts of oral arguments.
Ginsburg’s health has been a matter of intense public concern because of the political balance of the court. The nine-justice panel is currently divided 5-4 among Republican and Democratic nominees.
Ginsburg was appointed by former President Bill Clinton in 1993.
President Trump has wished her a speedy recovery. Meanwhile, the White House has been reaching out to political allies and conservative activist groups in case a vacancy occurs, according to Politico.
A Ginsburg departure would allow Trump to nominate a third Supreme Court justice — the most in one presidential term since former President Ronald Reagan placed three judges during his second term.
(c)2019 New York Daily News
Visit New York Daily News at www.nydailynews.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
This content is published through a licensing agreement with Acquire Media using its NewsEdge technology.