Home News Newspaper dumped from GOP debate over antagonism toward Trump

Newspaper dumped from GOP debate over antagonism toward Trump

January 11, 2016 at 11:40 am 4 News
Share!

MANCHESTER — Donald Trump immediately took credit for getting the New Hampshire Union Leader dropped from an upcoming Republican debate being produced in partnership with ABC News, drawing condemnation from the paper’s publisher.

“I am pleased to announce that I had the Union Leader removed from the upcoming debate,” Trump tweeted Sunday afternoon, minutes after the newspaper was told by an ABC News executive they were going to “split ways.”

The debate, scheduled for Feb. 6 from the campus of St. Anselm College, is the only time Republicans will meet head-to-head in the Granite State.

ABC News’ decision to drop the Union Leader from the Republican debate follows a similar incident before their Democratic debate last month. WMUR-TV was not allowed to participate after the Democratic National Committee had them removed due to an ongoing labor dispute with fewer than a dozen members of a union at the station based in Manchester.

In a statement, Union Leader Publisher Joseph W. McQuaid blasted ABC’s decision.

“We are amused by ABC News apparently just discovering that we endorse candidates and write editorials. We have been doing both for many years and it has never been a problem with ABC or other debate sponsors,” McQuaid said.

“We consider ABC’s actions to be spineless. Between bowing to the DNC and Trump, ABC is more concerned about appeasing the parties and candidates than informing voters. The Union Leader will continue to serve Granite Staters by being a reliable source of information about where candidates stand.”

In an email to McQuaid, ABC News Vice President Robin Sproul said: “We respect and admire the Union Leader and its storied role in New Hampshire politics. It’s why we always reach out to you guys about debates, every cycle.”

Sproul said the network wanted all candidates to feel that the partners are “not biased in favor of or against anyone on the debate stage.”

“We felt that the current war of words with Trump, coupled with the endorsement already made, put us in a difficult position — there was just too much distraction from what we need to accomplish in the debate,” Sproul said.

WMUR-TV and the Independent Journal Review, a news website, will remain partners in the debate, though their role has not been defined. ABC has not released a list of candidates who will be invited to take part.

___

(c)2016 The New Hampshire Union Leader (Manchester, N.H.)

Visit The New Hampshire Union Leader (Manchester, N.H.) at www.unionleader.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

—-

This content is published through a licensing agreement with Acquire Media using its NewsEdge technology.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
Rating: 8.8/10 (4 votes cast)

Newspaper dumped from GOP debate over antagonism toward Trump, 8.8 out of 10 based on 4 ratings

Print Friendly
Share!

Please leave a comment below and check out these other stories on GOPUSA.


carrier_1

Employees react with anger to Carrier announcement that 2,000 jobs are going to Mexico

Two subsidiaries of Farmington-based United Technologies Corp. are shutting heating and ventilating parts manufacturing plants in Indiana, eliminating more than 2,000 jobs as operations move to Mexico.
In this photo provided by UNHCR officials and taken on Thursday, Aug. 15, 2013. Syrian refugees cross the border toward Iraq at Peshkhabour border point at Dahuk, 260 miles (430 kilometers) northwest of Baghdad, Iraq.  The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has set up an emergency transit camp in Irbil, where around 2,000 refugees are camping out and UNHCR officials say some thousands of refugees have been streaming into northern Iraq, many coming across a newly-constructed pontoon bridge over the Tigris River at Peshkhabour. (AP Photo/HO)

Pittsburgh mayor says Syrian refugees will help rebuild his city

Critics have called Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto a traitor and worse for his stance on wanting to resettle Syrian refugees in the city, but the mayor remains steadfast in his commitment to provide homes to 500 refugees yearly as long as service providers can handle that number
Republican presidential candidate Ohio Gov. John Kasich arrive to a cheering crowd Tuesday, Feb. 9, 2016, in Concord, N.H., at their primary night campaign rally. (AP Photo/Jim Cole)

Kasich: Voters not 'angry'

Republican presidential candidate John Kasich championed compassionate conservatism Friday as the direction the nation should take
liberal_fit

GOPUSA Open Thread: Week in Review

Welcome to the GOPUSA “Open Thread,” a post that’s open to our readers, for our readers. So much has gone on this past week, and this thread allows you to talk about whatever you want to talk about. We’ve had the New Hampshire primary. Did the results change anyone’s mind? We’ve had a governor apologize for slavery. We’ve had NASA say no to Jesus, and so much more. Please jump in, and let us know what you think
bernie_sanders

Black Democrats question Sanders' commitment to Obama

Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign enlisted the support of black Democrats on Friday to undermine Bernie Sanders’ push to claim a piece of President Barack Obama’s legacy, arguing she is the rightful heir to the nation’s first black president
alton_alexander_nolen

OK man who beheaded woman asks for death penalty

NORMAN -- A murder defendant told a judge Thursday he still wants to plead guilty and be given a death sentence for beheading a co-worker at a Moore food distribution
Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump waves from his vehicle during a tour of the World Trade International Bridge at  the U.S. Mexico border in Laredo, Texas, Thursday, July 23, 2015. (AP Photo/LM Otero)

Poll: Trump maintains lead in SC

Donald Trump remains the top choice among S.C. Republicans, according to the first poll released since voting in the 2016 presidential race began earlier this month. The New York billionaire was
Nazareth restaurant owner Hany Baransi describes the machete attack in his Columbus restaurant Thursday night, February 11, 2016. Baransi said he is a Christian Arab from Israel, believing that the attack might have been motivated by religious differences. Four people were injured in the attack, one requiring surgery. The assailant left the restaurant, but was later found and killed by police after he began to attack them.  (Columbus Dispatch photo by Doral Chenoweth III)

Machete wielding attacker wounds 5 in Ohio restaurant owned by Israeli

Police in central Ohio shot and killed a man who stormed into a restaurant owned by an Israeli Arab. The man was wielding a machete and randomly attacking patrons, authorities said


4 Comments

  1. ports11 January 11, 2016 at 3:00 pm

    Doesn’t really sound like the newspaper here is “informing people” but rather trying to persuade them.

    VN:D [1.9.6_1107]
    Rating: 4.8/5 (6 votes cast)
  2. shafawn15 January 11, 2016 at 3:19 pm

    Trump’s proactive action to remove this liberal rag is showing me he will do what needs to be done and will gladly take responsibility for doing it.

    I really like that.

    VN:D [1.9.6_1107]
    Rating: 5.0/5 (8 votes cast)
  3. warmanna2135 January 11, 2016 at 4:22 pm

    That’s what he will get when he comes to Ohio. The Toledo Blade always endorses the Democrat candidate.
    Go Donald Trump. How refreshing, though for someone to take full responsibility for his actions.Especially a politician.

    VN:D [1.9.6_1107]
    Rating: 5.0/5 (8 votes cast)
  4. ltuser January 11, 2016 at 5:46 pm

    Good job Trump.. Taking ownership of what was done! Something sorely lacking in most every politician we have in office.

    VN:D [1.9.6_1107]
    Rating: 5.0/5 (6 votes cast)


Write a Reply or Comment