Last Updated:December 17 @ 01:24 pm

After telling Congress to keep working Obama heads to Camp David

By AP Staff

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama will be taking a break for the Independence Day holiday weekend.

He'll travel to Camp David in western Maryland Friday afternoon, following some morning meetings.

Daughter Malia has a holiday birthday. She'll turn 13 on Monday.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
Rate this post:
Rating: 6.4/10 (7 votes cast)
After telling Congress to keep working Obama heads to Camp David, 6.4 out of 10 based on 7 ratings

Don't leave yet! Add a comment below or check out these other great stories:

25 Comments

1. nancyjComment by nancyj
    July 1, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

Does he have another golf date????  Or is it just another (yet another) rest???
    Seems to me that whenever it gets hot in the kitchen, he gets out of the house.  (That WAS a pun)

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
    Rate this comment:
    Rating: 5.0/5 (18 votes cast)
  2. jb80538Comment by jb80538
    July 1, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

Let him go away for the weekend. We’d be considered lucky if he decided not to return.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
    Rate this comment:
    Rating: 5.0/5 (20 votes cast)
  3. AMVoterComment by AMVoter
    July 1, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

Obama gives a press conference in which he whines about doing his job while congress takes too many breaks (of course he doesn’t mention his golf games or all the time he’s spent flying around the country on the backs of taxpayers campaigning), then he refuses to meet with Republicans on the debt, boards our corporate jet and flies off to Pennsylvania to campaign, after which he returns to Washington only to head out to Camp David to no doubt play more golf.

How can anyone respect such arrogance and petulance, not to mention his apparent indifference toward the crises facing this country.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
    Rate this comment:
    Rating: 5.0/5 (18 votes cast)
  4. Colo43Comment by Colo43
    July 1, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

He has not worked a day since he took office, all he and his wife have done is spend the Tax payers monies jet setting  around the world
    I’d like nothing better than to see him impeached and sent to prison and for all his earnings and possessions to be sold to pay back the money spent.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
    Rate this comment:
    Rating: 5.0/5 (14 votes cast)
  5. DonSComment by DonS
    July 1, 2011 @ 3:21 pm

Traveling on Air Force One, writing speeches and giving speeches is so tiring.  President Obama has to have his rest.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
    Rate this comment:
    Rating: 5.0/5 (9 votes cast)
    • AMVoterComment by AMVoter
      July 1, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

Obama doesn’t write his own speeches.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
      Rate this comment:
      Rating: 5.0/5 (9 votes cast)
  6. secondincommandComment by secondincommand
    July 1, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

He doesn’t even write the speeches.  Apparently the eye ***** are tired from reading off the teleprompter.

Obama’s litany of things he was busy doing included not getting in the way of the military, so they could kill Osama.   How tiring.

IMPEACH OBAMA NOW!

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
    Rate this comment:
    Rating: 4.7/5 (12 votes cast)
  7. ProlifeMamaComment by ProlifeMama
    July 1, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

Wonder if Malia Obama’s birthday cake will be in the shape of a U.S. flag…different color scheme, of course, so as not to offend.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
    Rate this comment:
    Rating: 5.0/5 (5 votes cast)
  8. newsjunkiComment by newsjunki
    July 1, 2011 @ 5:52 pm

His blantant hypocrisy is overwhelming!  How many times has he told Congress to do things that he has not and will NOT do himself.  This holds true even with his smoking habit while his wife lectures us about living a healthy life and dictates our diet!  Take notice in all his travels he eats fast foods and fries!   Practicing what they preach isn’t part of their repertoire.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
    Rate this comment:
    Rating: 5.0/5 (7 votes cast)
    • Dingbat36Comment by Dingbat36
      July 1, 2011 @ 7:26 pm

When he stopped in my city on the campaign trail before he was elected , where did he go?  To a pizza joint, whoopee……he didn’t have “time” to wait for the specialty pizza he wanted to be baked, so a customer who had ordered the same pizza gave his to Obama. Guess what he got for his trouble……….stiffed on the bill!

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
      Rate this comment:
      Rating: 5.0/5 (3 votes cast)
  9. PattiComment by Patricia
    July 1, 2011 @ 7:22 pm

We The People, must understand how tiring it is for the president to have to chase down George Soros , et al, to find out what the next move will be to handle We The People.  Destroying a country is very hard work, and a good president just HAS to have his rest every few days.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
    Rate this comment:
    Rating: 5.0/5 (4 votes cast)
    • MorganComment by Precious
      July 4, 2011 @ 9:59 am

Love it, and sarcasm noted.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
      Rate this comment:
      Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
  10. woodtogoComment by woodtogo
    July 2, 2011 @ 7:42 am

The president stated at his weekly radio address that nothing is off limits in negotiations of the budget debate.  Sounds like a perfect time to cut Omamacare.  I would llike to know how much we can shave off the budget with this cut?  Think of all the bureaucracies we can cut which were started up because of this piece of legislation?  Bet this would help us balance the budget.  And he said it, remember that, “nothing is off limits”.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
    Rate this comment:
    Rating: 5.0/5 (2 votes cast)
  11. cinbadComment by cinbad
    July 2, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

As Obama putts around on the golf course and Michelle”s laying poolside, both are saying “AAHHhh, I wonder what the little people are doing today?”

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
    Rate this comment:
    Rating: 4.0/5 (1 vote cast)
  12. MorganComment by Precious
    July 2, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

Playing Devil’s advocate here….Where in that article does it say he told Congress to keep working.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
    Rate this comment:
    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
  13. cdrcodyComment by cdrcody
    July 3, 2011 @ 1:56 am

In the title.  Most people now adays don’t have the attention span to read past that point.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
    Rate this comment:
    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
    • MorganComment by Precious
      July 4, 2011 @ 10:06 am

But the article builds on what the title of the article states. In other words, and usually in the first paragraph or two it will explain on such and such a date, the President told Congress to continue working.

I think this article was more about the Presidents hypocracy than anything, not Congress continuing to work, because all the article is about is him taking the trip to Camp David and his daughters birthday. Never mentions Congress.

Now don’t get me wrong. I’m no way a fan of Obama, but I think the title is misleading.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
      Rate this comment:
      Rating: 1.0/5 (1 vote cast)
    • Comment by LuLu
      July 4, 2011 @ 10:53 am

I find your objection to be that of a person who IS defending Obama.

The title is a statement of FACT, whether you think it fits the article or not.  So why make a big deal of it for several days UNLESS you want to convince others that Obama isn’t a hypocrite?

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
      Rate this comment:
      Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
    • MorganComment by Precious
      July 4, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

Did you see what I said here? “Playing Devil’s advocate here….Where in that article does it say he told Congress to keep working.”

The article is suggesting 3 stories. 1. Obama told congress to keep working and 2. he flew to Camp David and 3. His daughter is having a BD party.

I’m speaking from a journalistic viewpoint. If you wish to think that I’m supporting Obama, you are sadly mistaken.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
      Rate this comment:
      Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
    • Comment by LuLu
      July 4, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

Like it or not the effect of your complaint is to defend Obama’s hypocrisy. It’s a miracle that a fact was inserted anywhere in an AP story.

Good Lord, if I spent my time complaining about journalistic standards I sure as heck wouldn’t complain about them accidentally telling the truth for once. So yeah, I do think your complaint reeks of Obama defense.

A conservative is more concerned with facts than form. I would bet that over 90% of AP stories contain liberal distortion. Shouldn’t we be more concerned about that than whether their titles match their stories when the titles are factual?

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
      Rate this comment:
      Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
  14. downdraftComment by downdraft
    July 3, 2011 @ 8:28 pm

Nope…he is just setting Congress up for a “finale”…here is how it goes…Congress doesn’t come up with a bill that pleases him, he Vetos it, then he declares Congress unfit to resolve this urget problem, declares them irrelevant…takes over as a benevolent dictator…story over for us all!

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
    Rate this comment:
    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
    • MorganComment by Precious
      July 4, 2011 @ 10:08 am

I’m sure you’re right about one thing. He will veto any bill he does not like no matter what or how good the bill is for the country.

Or, he will write some Executive Order bypassing the Congress.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
      Rate this comment:
      Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
  15. downdraftComment by downdraft
    July 4, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

You know, the beauty of this particular GOPUSA is first, they edit out offensive words…you can get around the edit when words are mispelled…however, next, most viewers voice their opinions of the article, or just an opinion..but most also do not attack other viewers who make a comment that is different..

If you go to the “front page” of FOXNEWS  the articles there allow comments…and if you begin reading the comments you discover wiewers who attack each other…rather than just writing their thoughts…

Most of these seem to be “plants”, paid specifically for attacking those whose opinions go against OBAMA, or Liberals…then they attack the viewer they differ with…

After a while one decides to find another forum, thus GOPUSA…a good forum, many options, and editing of abusive words. Here you can moan all day writing about Obama, Micjhel;le, or whatever…but, until recently, I have not encountered one viewer criticizing another…if they do, I suspect they are “paid plants” to stir anger between viewers having different opinions..

I hope it doesn’t get that way…everything good that OBAMA touches seems to turn to dirt!

Let the children who like to write “scandal mongerisms” like they did with their adolescent school newspapers, keep contained within FOXNEW’S front pages.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
    Rate this comment:
    Rating: 3.0/5 (2 votes cast)
    • Comment by LuLu
      July 4, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

Yes, there are some childish posters here who go through all kinds of gyrations to get profanity and vulgarisms past the filter. It’s annoying and I wish this website wouldn’t tolerate so much of it.

As to no criticism of other posters, that is pure fantasy. I’ve been roundly criticized here and that’s to be expected on any political website. Sometimes I learn something from it. Most times I don’t, but that’s not the point. A site like this provides a place for a free exchange of ideas. That free exchange includes criticism as well as compliments.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
      Rate this comment:
      Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
  16. MorganComment by Precious
    July 4, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

Lulu, you’re certainly entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

VN:F [1.9.6_1107]
    Rate this comment:
    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)