Denial after denial after denial. No... of course the killing of U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three others wasn't a terrorist attack. That was the line. The violence was "spontaneous," and it was due to a YouTube video. That's what Obama and Clinton and other administration officials said. Now, someone is singing different tune.
In testimony before the Senate Homeland Security Committee, Matt Olsen, the director of the National Counterterrorism Center, acknowledged that the attack was certainly the work of terrorists.
"I would say yes, they were killed in the course of a terrorist attack on our embassy," Matt Olsen, the director of the National Counterterrorism Center, said Wednesday at a hearing of the Senate Homeland Security Committee, in response to questioning from Chairman Joe Lieberman (I-CT) about the attack that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.
As for who was responsible, Olsen said it appears there were attackers from a number of different militant groups that operate in and around Benghazi, and said there are already signs of al Qaeda involvement.
"We are looking at indications that individuals involved in the attack may have had connections to al Qaeda or al Qaeda's affiliates; in particular, al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb," he said.
ForeignPolicy.com also reports that Olsen's tesitmony refutes what White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said earlier in the day:
His statements go further than those of the White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, who said last week that the protests in Cairo and Benghazi were a reaction to the video and not a pre-planned attack. Today, Carney didn't repeat the assertion that the video was solely to blame, but he said again that there is no evidence the Benghazi attack was pre-planned.
What's stunning is the level to which Barack Obama, his team, and the media all stood by the assertion that the killings were just some random, spontaneous act by people hyped up over a video. Obama even dispatched his U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice to hit all the talk shows and say the exact same line, which the media were happy to repeat: This was not a terrorist attack, but simply angry people who went too far.
As more information is learned, it appears that a former Gitmo detainee is behind the attacks.
US intelligence officials believe a former Guantanamo Bay inmate with ties to Al-Qaeda is "likely" to have organised the attack which killed the American ambassador to Libya last week, according to new reports.
The former inmate, Sufyan Ben Qumu, is one of the leaders of Ansar al-Sharia, a Libyan militant Islamist group with a high-profile presence in the east of the country that has already been identified by local officials as involved in the attack on the consulate in Benghazi in which Chris Stevens died.
Ben Qumu was released from Guantanamo Bay in 2007 by President George W. Bush and returned to Libya. At the time, negotiations were under way led by Col Muammar Gadaffi's son, Saif al-Islam, to grant an amnesty to imprisoned Islamists, mostly members of a group called the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group.
Now we see what happens when terrorists are released and told, "Ok... you be good now." It doesn't happen! And Barack Obama is in negotiations to release the World Trade Center bomber? America cannot cave in to the demands or terrorists. Only one thing comes out of it... more terror.