Barack Obama's campaign slogan should be "It's the Video, Stupid." Regardless of what intelligence officials are saying, Obama is sticking to his story that the attacks in Libya were the result of a spontaneous demonstration by muslims who were upset about a YouTube video. Not only have reports surfaced that show the violence was planned, now officials are saying that at the time of the attack there wasn't even a demonstration going on.
As reported in the Kansas City Star, a Libyan security guard has come forward to further refute the Obama administration's weak account of the events which lead to the deaths of four Americans including U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens.
The guard, interviewed Thursday in the hospital where he is being treated for five shrapnel wounds in one leg and two bullet wounds in the other, said that the consulate area was quiet - "there wasn't a single ant outside," he said - until about 9:35 p.m., when as many as 125 armed men descended on the compound from all directions.
The men lobbed grenades into the compound, wounding the guard and knocking him to the ground, then stormed through the facility's main gate, shouting "God is great" and moving to one of the many villas that make up the consulate compound. He said there had been no warning that an attack was imminent.
"Wouldn't you expect if there were protesters outside that the Americans would leave?" the guard said.
To add even more to the story, The Independent reports that Libyan officials gave the U.S. a full three days notice of possible violence against the American consulate.
American diplomats were warned of possible violent unrest in Benghazi three days before the killings of US Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three members of his team, Libyan security officials say.
The claim came as the country's interim President, Mohammed el-Megarif, said his government had information that the attack on the US consulate had been planned by an Islamist group with links to al-Qa'ida and with foreigners taking part.
Now, even Obama officials are stepping back from their earlier comments. As reported by Fox News, "U.S. officials, in response to the claim that there was no demonstration at the time of the attack, told Fox News there was a small protest earlier in the day -- but they did not dispute that there was no significant or sizeable demonstration at the time."
The more we learn, the more the Obama story line keeps collapsing.